Paracetamol (Acetaminophane) one of the most prescribing OTC drug commonly used as a pain reliever and fever reducer.
Today we are going to discuss about the beneficial and harmful effects and what precaution should we have to take before intake the drugs.
- As a symptom’s reliever of cold and common flue.
- Menstrual cramps.
- Backache, throat pain, headache, toothache, migraine.
- Post-operative mild to moderate pain management
- Mild to moderate pain related osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis, or any other sero-negative arthritis or gout.
- Any physical pain associated with burn or injury.
- Pain associated with myopathy.
What dosage should we take?
The recommended dose for adults is 1g (1000mg) per dose and nit exceeding 4g (4000mg) per day. Though dosage can differ according to its need in treating different disease.
Paracetamol comes in the form of tablets and syrup and suppository and chewable tablets and caplets and in combination with Caffeine and other pain killer like tramadol HCl and other pain killer.
So. It’s usually considered most safe and effective among other NSAIDs. Though precaution should be taken due to its side effects.
Though those side effects are not frequent. The side effects are-
- Neutropenia, leucopenia,
- Diarrhoea, vomiting.
- Pain and burning sensation at injection site.
- Hypotension, Tachycardia
At severe cases (Fatal) rarely…Steven Johnson syndrome, Toxic epidermal Necrolysis, acute generalised exanthematous pustulosis, acute Renal tubular necrosis, hepatotoxicity.
stop the medication if you or your child experience any allergic reactions (e.g. rash, swelling of the eyes and lips, difficulty breathing) and see the nearest doctor immediately.
- Precaution should be taken in case of
- Patient with hepatitis, or impair liver or renal function,
- Gastritis and GI tract ulcer patients
- Chronic alcoholism
- Lactation (drug can cross placenta and excrete through breast milk… * *Taking another medication containing paracetamol
- If taking a blood thinner (e.g. warfarin)
- Children under six, unless taken with supervision
So minimum dose should be used at those patients and avoid taken frequently at pregnancy as after birth baby may suffer from childhood asthma.
Paracetamol is a cheap drug that is readily available over the counter. Because serious side effects are so uncommon and the “placebo effect” is so strong, so this drug could be considered as an option for treating regular tension-type headache for people who find that it helps them.
Several Researches and studies have taken place regarding its safety and efficacy and the result of those studies put questions about its widespread use among GP practitioners in case of chronic pain management. In spite of those contradiction. Still it’s using as a first line prescribing drugs any mild to moderate pain management in any arthritic, physical pain like headache, toothache and even at pregnancy as a safe fever reducer and analgesic for backache.
What are the overdose symptoms?
Call a doctor immediately if you notice the following symptoms:
- Abdominal pain, tenderness
- Dark urine
- Yellowing of the whites of eyes
However, whether it’s safe or not we should must consult doctor before taking this medication on any occasions.